Programming is writing and then executing instructions for a computer.
There are a few really basic ideas you need to understand when you are programming:
- data types
- mathematical operators
- comparison operators
Once you master the ideas above, you will then need to better understand:
- common data structures (especially JSON, arrays and lists).
- calling an API
- parsing API reply
- file input / output
- connecting to a database
- making database queries
- processing database results
- creating a graphical user interface
If you understand the above ideas, you can program almost anything.
A few more points:
- There is a difference between writing code and executing code
- You should have a pretty good understanding of interpreted vs compiled languages
- You should be familiar with two programming paradigms, procedural and object-oriented
- You should understand what happens when you execute a program.