Programming is planning, writing, executing, and testing instructions for a computer.
There are a few really basic ideas you need to understand when you are learning how to program a computer.
- data types
- mathematical operators
- comparison operators
Once you master the ideas above, you will then need to better understand:
- common data structures
- calling an API
- parsing API reply
- file input / output
- File Formats: XML, plain text, JSON
- connecting to a database
- making database queries
- processing database results
- creating a graphical user interface
If you understand the above ideas, you can solve most problems with a computer.
A few more points:
- There is a difference between writing code and executing code. You should understand what happens when you execute a program.
- You should have a pretty good understanding of interpreted vs compiled languages.
- You should be familiar with two programming paradigms, procedural and object-oriented.